10.28.2011

My very first pumpkin carving...

I've been saving this post ever since I saw the "October Followers Fest" on Much Love, Illy. It's a fabulous fall themed blog hop of sorts that links up through some of my favorite blogs and you should go join in on the fun!! It's going on all weekend so you have plenty of time to put together a post and play along...

Photobucket

For this special occasion- I've saved my special post of my very first pumpkin carving!!! 

You see what I did there?

I just managed to get a bunch of people who have never been by my blog before (and probably all my followers) asking "what kind of girl is this?! Never carved a pumpkin?! Blasphemous!!"
Or some variation of that sentiment...

I know!! I somehow missed out on this tradition and most other "gets you messy" activities... Whoops!
For the record- I do not feel deprived in any way at all. In fact, carving my first pumpkin at 24 was a blast!! I had so much fun learning how to do it all from my person and got some cute pictures to remember this momentous occasion. And so, lucky for you all, here's an awesome little photo drop!!

 So the scooping out part took me FOREVER!!! I honestly think he was done with the whole thing before I finished this part...

 I couldn't find a pattern I liked... Sooooo I made my own in an old notebook, scanned it in, and blew it up to use instead... Should've gone with the old school jack-o-lantern for my first attempt!

 The person likes to use the brilliant "thumbnail to make the outline" technique. SO smart but thanks to my awesome design, I could not feel my fingers by the end!

Am I seriously still poking holes?! 

Finally starting to cut!! Those tiny saws are far too fragile. I may or may not have broken one... whoops!

 Then the person had to swoop in and save me!! My intricate design was a little ambitious. The pup lost an ear and there were almost many more casualties. But- he got me through the tough parts so I could get it done. What a guy :)

The finished product! It's a window scene featuring all my fur babies!! And a spooooooooky old tree  

The artist with her work of art. I am seriously proud of that thing! 

Both our masterpieces up on display and his favorite Halloween decoration. I like to think they look good together.

There you have it!! Not so bad, huh? Did you get around to pumpkin carving yet this year? Do you go with templates or make your own?

If it's your first time here, welcome! I hope you'll keep looking around some more and stay a while. There's lots of goodness here in my corner of the blogosphere and I can't wait to hop around and find some new fun-ness on all of your blogs too!!  

Hope this post finds you all well!! Lots of love and energy all around...

21 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ahhhh I always forget how stressful pumpkin carving can be. From laying out the paper perfectly to the pain in your hands from punching holes to the sawing and then something always falls off haha. LOVE the pumpkins! Good work :)

Nali said...

Wow! Great job! We have yet to carve our pumpkins, but I hope they turn out just as good.

xoxo, Nali

Ashley said...

That pumpkin looks amazing!

WWW.Ashley-mommyaworkinprogress.blogspot.com

Sharde said...

your first pumpkin is pretty dang awesome for your first one! my cat is jealous shes not on one :) i've actually not really carved one myself in years, but i'm gonna do a hello kitty one on sunday! we shall see how it actually works out lol!

sharde @ the style projects

Frances said...

I found you through the blog hop - your pumpkin is so cute! I used my own template last year but this year I'm not sure what I'll do.Off to explore some more! ;) Have a great Friday!

Courtney said...

You are so creative…it turned out AWESOME. :)

Ruthie Hart said...

this was your first pumpkin carving?!?! holy smokes you did GOOD!

Kate said...

Oh my gosh, your pumpkin is adorable! I've carved a pumpkin plenty of times, but I think that means I have wayy less patience for it. We bought pumpkins this year but I think I'm gonna push for them to stay just pumpkins so that we can keep them until Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

I'd be proud of it too! I always end up breaking little things on mine so I'm pretty jealous of yours! hehe!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I've never carved a pumpkin and I really want to!! So glad you had fun and it turned out as you wanted it to! xxx

skippysays said...

OMG your pumpkin is amazing!! you should be so proud! i can barely cut a face into mine:)
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Deidre said...

Your pumpkin is fantastic! Very impressive!

Sandy a la Mode said...

oh my gosh!! that looks soo good! u know, i haven't carved a pumpkin in AGES... i told my hubby we should this weekend, we'll see if we have time!

Ashley@The Vanilla Tulip said...

Oh my word!!! Your pumpkin is impressive!!!!!!!:)

Ashley @ The Sweet Life said...

Awesome job for your first carving! :)

Unknown said...

How fun! That pumpkin looks amazing. Stopping by from followers fest, already a follower :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your pumpkins look really awesome!

cssolomon said...

Oooh, very nice! We totally failed as parents this year for Halloween. I have this dream to be the family that all dresses up and super celebrates Halloween, so next year will be awesome!! :)

Holly said...

You totally SHOULD be proud of that!!!! How awesome, congrats and good job!!!

allie said...

This came out really great! I've never carved a pumpkin before but it seems like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll try it next Halloween.

http://tramplingicecream.blogspot.com/

erica said...

Love your carving it turned out amazing! I just discovered your blog and I am your newest follower. xo